Buguey was founded on May 20, 1623 starting as a small fishing village called Mission. It has gone through a colorful transitory period. It was formerly a part of another town, now called Camalaniugan and was under the Parish of Aparri until 1677.
Buguey was reduced to the status of a barrio and attached to Camalaniugan sometime in 1901. In 1905, the Americans were already organizing the municipal and provincial governments in the islands, but Buguey still remain a barrio. In their desire to uplift the politico-social status of the municipality, a group of political leaders led by Alejandro Varilla, Gregorio Valle and Placido Calaycay petitioned the American Governnor-General to restore Buguey to its old status, but it was only until 1915 that it was declared a municipality.
In early 1623, nine of its barangays were separated through a congressional Act to form a new municipality now called Sta. Teresita.
- Article copied verbatim from: http://www.buguey.ph